Prairie Research Institute
The Prairie Research Institute Library is a special library whose collections and expertise focus on natural resources, biodiversity, and environmental sustainability. We provide research support to Prairie Research Institute staff, the campus community, and the public. Successful candidates for the student assistant position can expect to gain knowledge and experience in basic library skills, behind the scenes library operations and workflows, and customer service. The duties of Student Assistants include assisting patrons at the circulation/information desk, shelving library materials, check-in of new materials, and processing materials for binding or transfer to other locations. The Student Assistants have regular duties to be performed each shift, as well as special assignments. Students are expected to work regularly scheduled hours each week, and provide 2 weeks advance notice if unable to work scheduled hours. We do not allow Student Assistants to work on homework assignments, study, read email, or engage in online recreation while on the job.
Student Assistants are expected to develop:
• Knowledge and operation of the library's circulation system, Voyager.
• Knowledge and operation of the Voyager cataloging and acquisitions modules for basic catalog record update operations.
• Good customer service skills, both in person and on the telephone.
• Flexibility to work when the Prairie Research Institute Library is open (current hours are 8:30am-5pm M-F; current desk shifts are 8:30-12:45 and 12:45-5).
• The ability to answer basic information questions, and to understand the procedure of referral for more complex questions.
• Skills to resolve basic printing, software, and hardware issues.
• Knowledge of collection maintenance duties, including shelf-reading and reshelving of library materials.
• The ability to complete special projects, including book shifting, cleaning, and other activities, as necessary.
• Ability to manage time and prioritize in order to keep the day-to-day operations of the library flowing smoothly.
Requirements for applicants:
• Current enrollment at the University of Illinois.
• A friendly attitude and a willingness to learn.
• The ability to follow instructions.
• Ability to pay attention to detail and do accurate work.
• Basic competency with standard computer software (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel), and ability to learn to use new software.
• A willingness to be alert, and work hard on every shift.
• At least 8 hours per week of availability between 8:30am-5pm M-F.
Some library or clerical experience (including volunteer work) is preferred and will be very helpful, but is not required. Availability during semester breaks is preferred, but not required. Ability to work shifts of at least 4 hours strongly preferred. Students with Federal Work Study awards are preferred.
Hourly rate: $9.25
For full consideration please send a statement of interest, resume, and names and contact info for two references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm December 19.
Please see the individual Surveys for their open positions:
The University of Illinois is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The administration, faculty, and staff embrace diversity and are committed to attracting qualified candidates who also embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
Updated 12/15/14 AW